Skip to main content

Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum: records

 Record Group
Identifier: A05.04

  • Staff Only
  • Please use the Collection Organization section below to place requests.

Scope and Content

This collection contains records pertaining to the creation and operation of the Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum. There are historical records, including materials relating to the founding, design and construction of the Museum space; general office files; correspondence from the office of the Museum director; reaccreditation reports; and guest registers.


  • Creation: 1951-


Access Restrictions

Some materials restricted. Consult series descriptions for specific information.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and Arctic Studies Center exist to promote an understanding of and appreciation for the human cultures and natural environments found in Arctic regions. The Museum was established in 1967 in recognition of Bowdoin College's long association with explorers and their work. It is named for Robert E. Peary (Class of 1877) and Donald B. MacMillan (Class of 1898), two internationally known Arctic explorers. The College installed a modest exhibit of Arctic objects in Searles Science building in the mid-50s. The growing collection was moved to its present location in Hubbard Hall in 1967. The Museum's collections include arctic exploration gear, natural history specimens, and artifacts and drawings made by Inuit and Indians of North America.


7 Linear Feet

Language of Materials


Guide to the Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum Records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine 04011 Repository

3000 College Station
Brunswick Maine 04011 USA
(207) 725-3288