Skip to main content

Department of Chemistry records

 Record Group
Identifier: A03.29

  • Staff Only
  • Please use the Collection Organization section below to place requests.

Scope and Content

This collection contains a booklet prepared for the Laboratory of Chemistry (Cleaveland Hall) dedication on June 6, 1952. In addition to the dedication program, the booklet includes a history of chemistry at Bowdoin and a description of the Laboratory of Chemistry. There is also a Stirling engine, which was used by the Chemistry Department in the late 1800s and ealy 1900s to run its stirrers.


  • Creation: 1952-2001


Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1805 Parker Cleaveland was offered a Professorship of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, thus beginning the instruction of science at Bowdoin. With the establishment of the Medical School in 1820, Cleaveland's lectures in chemistry were offered to College and medical school students, with both lectures and laboratory work conducted in Massachusetts Hall. Paul Chadbourne, Cyrus Brackett and George Goodale succeeded Cleaveland and expanded the chemistry program, which moved to Adams Hall in 1862. Under the leadership of Presidents Chamberlain and Hyde, and the specific direction of Franklin Clement Robinson (Bowdoin professor of chemistry, 1874-1910) the chemistry curriculum expanded and the department moved into new facilities in the Searles Science Building in 1894.The department moved again in 1952 when the Laboratory of Chemistry (Cleaveland Hall) was completed.


2 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



Arranged alphabetically.

Guide to the Department of Chemistry Records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine 04011 Repository

3000 College Station
Brunswick Maine 04011 USA
(207) 725-3288