Skip to main content

Athletics records

 Record Group
Identifier: A04.02

  • Staff Only
  • Please use the Collection Organization section below to place requests.

Scope and Content

The Athletic records group contains records, scrapbooks, photographs, brochures, realia, and the Bowdoin College athletics website that document the history of athletics and sport at Bowdoin College. Various sport programs, such as basketball, baseball, and track and field, have long histories at Bowdoin. Their records contain meet results, yearly score books, and photographs of teams from the 1880s to the 2000s.


  • Creation: 1866 - 2024


Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Use of Digital Collections

Digital materials may be used for research, educational, and non-commercial purposes without our written permission. For information about publication, visit our policies page or contact

Biographical/Historical Note

Prior to the 1860s, physical training and athletics on campus was informal, and organized by students. In 1860 the College Commons on the Bath Road was converted into a gymnasium, and William C. Dole, an ex-prize fighter, began giving private instruction in gymnastics. Mr. Dole was succeeded in 1870 by Dudley Sargent, who promoted physical training on campus, connecting good health and physical activity. In 1886 Nathaniel Whittier was appointed Director of the Gymnasium, and advanced physical education at Bowdoin. Meanwhile, the gymnasium moved from the College Commons to the lower level of Memorial Hall, to the first Sargent Gymnasium (later the Heating Plant), to Sargent Gymnasium and the Hyde Athletic Building; beginning the continuing upgrade and expansion of athletic facilities on campus. Organized sports came to Bowdoin about the same time as collegiate instruction in gymnastics. In order to handle intercollegiate athletics, an Advisory Athletic Committee was formed in 1891, consisting of the Director of the Gymnasium, one faculty member, two alumni, and five students. The composition of the Athletic Council was changed in 1901 to two professors, five alumni, and five students, and a new Athletic Council constitution was ratified. In June 1935, the Governing Boards abolished the Athletic Council and gave full control of athletic policy to the College president. In the late 1990s, the Athletics department began publishing sports information on the Bowdoin College Website. A subdomain was created for athletics web content circa 2000.


45 Linear Feet (86 boxes)

101 Volumes

Language of Materials


Processing Information

In February 2024, the Athletics record group was reorganized and reprocessed to better reflect the intellectual order of the collection. Individual sports collections were consolidated under the Athletics record group and series were moved or removed. For example, A04.02.05 Baseball Realia was deleted and materials were added to the Baseball series A04.02.13.

For more information on previous arrangement or citations questions, contact Special Collections.

Guide to Athletics Records and Publications
Emma Barton-Norris
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections & Archives, Bowdoin College Library, Brunswick, Maine 04011 Repository

3000 College Station
Brunswick Maine 04011 USA
(207) 725-3288